Ahead of the Carolina Challenge Cup, it is a busy weekend for Atlanta United and the Charleston Battery. Here’s some of the news related to those two clubs:
- Michael Parkhurst was named the first Atlanta United captain today by the club. Dirty South Soccer has the news, including a video done by the club from when Parkhurst was told.
- Tata Martino understands that Atlanta United will have expectations unlike any other expansion club in MLS history. He told the Associated Press, “I hope the team can meet the expectations of the city.” More at the link.
- Alex Tambakis spent 2016 on loan to the Charleston Battery and the upcoming tournament gives him a chance to reconnect with former teammates.
- Atlantic Station will be offering a shuttle to Atlanta United games:
- Blake White, Saul Tinoco, and Liam Butts scored in Atlanta’s 3-1 win over NYCFC in Generation adidas Cup qualifying in Orlando today.
In other news from around the South:
- The Charlotte Independence of the USL announced their preseason schedule, which includes a visit to Atlanta to face United on March 19.
- Statesboro, Georgia will host the PDL Eastern Conference Championship. Tormenta FC and the city won the bidding to host the event.
- Jacksonville Armada sign midfielder Zach Steinberger, who spent 2016 on loan to the club.
- The Atlanta Silverbacks unveiled their 2017 NPSL schedule today. They will open at home on May 6 against the Birmingham Hammers at 5:00 p.m. The regular season concludes on July 8 with a home match against cross-town rivals Georgia Revolution at 5:00 p.m.