Lots of coverage of Atlanta United’s preseason so far, but the rest of the clubs around the South are ramping up ahead of their 2017 seasons. Let’s get caught up:
- The Charleston Battery are celebrating their 25th anniversary in 2017 and are preparing for the Carolina Challenge Cup later this month. Today, they announced that they have re-signed midfielder Dante Marini and center back Taylor Mueller for the upcoming season. The Battery currently have nine players under contract for the 2017 season. The club also announced their preseason schedule that will see the Battery travel to face off with the NASL’s North Carolina FC on March 4, as well as games with many local college programs.
- North Carolina FC submitted their bid for MLS expansion this week. Their preseason for the upcoming NASL season kicks off on Monday. The club announced that they were unable to agree to terms for Mexican legend Omar Bravo to return for 2017.
- The Charlotte Independence announced a new stadium location for 2017, moving to the Sportsplex at Matthews for their upcoming USL season.
- The Gulf Coast Premier League’s AFC Mobile announced a title sponsorship with Haint Blue Brewing Company ahead of their first season this summer.
- The NPSL’s Asheville City has also been active ahead of their inaugural season. They have signed two players for the upcoming season and have announced Hi-Wire Brewing as their jersey sponsor.
- While some of the off the field things are still coming together for the NASL’s Jacksonville Armada, they announced their preseason schedule this afternoon. In addition to college games, they will face the USL’s Tampa Bay Rowdies on March 11 and Orlando City B on March 18.
- Nashville SC U23’s will be hosting an an open tryout this weekend, looking for talent to fill their first PDL roster this summer.